Alcohol withdrawal. How Long Does It Take to Detox from Alcohol? Alcohol withdrawal timeline
What Is Detox (Detoxification)? Alcohol withdrawal treatment
There are many symptoms of a body intoxicated (poisoned) by alcohol: feeling of heaviness, swelling, allergy-like symptoms, dry skin and fingernails and fragile hair. The effects of ethanol are taxing for every system in the body: liver, kidneys, metabolic processes, you name it. Alcohol detoxification procedure purifies the liver and puts you on track to regain your health – and it is absolutely required to have it before commencing drug therapy for alcohol.
Treatment for alcohol-related disorders has long relied on the almost exclusive support of support groups, such as the one created in 1935 by anonymous alcoholics. Today, alcoholism can be treated using different drugs, either alone or in association with behavioral therapies.
Detox is absolutely required for alcohol dependant patients before starting drug therapy. With ethanol still present in the lipid tissues of the organism, drugs based on Disulfiram (e.g.: Antabuse, Etiltox) used without a proper prior detox program cause such side effects as hot flashes, headaches, nausea and vomiting. Detoxification helps the cells to get rid of residual ethanol and alleviates abstinence syndrome.
Dealing with alcohol withdrawal. Why Is It Necessary?
Alcohol detoxification is the first phase in which dependency conditions are assessed. It may indeed be necessary to introduce therapies to manage the withdrawal from alcohol (the so called abstinence crisis). This phase is particularly crucial and is carefully followed.
Until recently, the term "detoxification" was found mainly in the lexicon of narcologists. It was used in situations when the body poisoned by alcohol could no longer cope with self-purification from poisons and required medical assistance. However, in recent years, it is increasingly necessary to artificially stimulate the purification of toxins. In order to perform detoxification in a right way, however, one should seek professional medical help.
The detox program necessarily includes the normalization of nutrition, daily regimen, metabolism, as well as measures taken directly to "expel" toxins from your body. Some of these measures may require the help of a doctor, and some should be done by the patient and their environment. The quantity, composition, concentration of drugs are selected taking into account the patient's age, health, and severity of withdrawal symptoms.
Alcohol Withdrawal: what are the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal?
The organ that derives the most benefits from the alcohol-free regime is undoubtedly the liver, which has around 500 life processes that underlie the digestion of food, detoxification and maintenance of hormonal balance.
Here are the five other obvious effects that present themselves after alcohol detox is carried out.
1) You sleep better
In spite of what many may think, allowing a few glasses before going to bed would not facilitate night-time rest. Alcohol intake during the evening hours contributes significantly to making the nights disturbed, with attacks of insomnia and disrupted sleep.
2) You get sick less
A high consumption of alcohol decreases the amount of white blood cells in the blood, thus eliminating the defenses against bacteria and viruses. For this reason, then, with a smaller number of white blood cells, the risks of infections due to possible wounds increase significantly.
3) You lose weight
Yes, even alcohol makes you fat. All those who are trying to lose weight must therefore avoid using these drinks in any way.
4) There is greater self-control
It is well known that drinking can bring the mind into that state of fogging and lightness that sometimes leads us to perform gestures of which, once back to clarity, we could bitterly repent.
5) You can really relax
Say goodbye to all the symptoms caused by drinking: intense tiredness, headache, intense abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting.
What to expect when detoxing from alcohol? (By Days). Stages of alcohol withdrawal. How long do dts last?
Alcohol detoxification in the long run offers some very significant benefits for the body, bordering on complete rejuvenation and reboot of all the systems in the organism. Here's what happens to the body when you stop drinking
The physical effects that occur when you stop drinking alcohol, from the following 24 hours up to a year later when, according to the expert opinion, the skin appears much brighter and more toned, you lose up to six pounds of fat and even the finances become more solid.
- After 1 hour of alcohol intake the pancreas starts producing insulin which stimulates the fatal stomach hole from carbohydrates.
- After 12-24 hours the blood sugar level is normalized and help is given to the fruit and vegetables used to hydrate.
- After 72 hours the physical and mental state has returned to normal, as the desire for carbohydrates has significantly decreased.
- After a week the skin is brighter because the body has recovered all the necessary hydration.
- After one month the liver increases by 15% the ability to purify from toxins and the fat on the stomach will be decreased. Furthermore, according to a study published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science, the skin tone is also affected positively.
- After 3-4 weeks - over time, excessive use of alcohol also increases blood pressure. Quitting allows this to normalize after a few weeks.
- After a month - a month after we have reduced the use of alcoholic beverages, even skin can experience a major benefit. Alcohol at high levels is toxic and makes the skin duller and less elastic, but it takes only a few weeks to recover brightness and stop aging.
- After 4-8 weeks - the liver, weighed down by a previous overwork that involved the transformation of excess glucose into fat will benefit. It will thus be possible to avoid the pathology of "fatty liver", which can also lead to cirrhosis of the liver.
- After 12 weeks - we can say we can perceive a marked improvement in our health and our appearance. You will have more energy and even the mood will be affected in a positive way. At this point the body will have almost completely forgotten the abusive practices of the past and at that moment the bad habits will be much less attractive.
- Finally, alcohol detox fixed with a whole year of abstinence can help you lose up to six pounds of fat, as well as reducing the risk of tumors and cirrhosis of the liver. In addition, the finances are also better: if the expenditure used for alcohol, for example, was equal to an average of $100 per week, the savings will be more than $5,000 in a year.
Can I Detox from Alcohol at Home? Home remedies for alcohol withdrawal
It is all in the nomenclature and depends on what is meant by detoxication. In case alcohol dependence that is not complicated by severe health conditions that require medical supervision, it is enough to initiate alcohol abstinence and adopt a special purifying regimen. Competent detoxification is always a comprehensive program of measures affecting all aspects of life.
One will have to work on the problem in a complex way, otherwise all efforts will go down the drain. Here is what it is recommended to do in order to reduce the symptoms of alcohol abstinence and help the body recover after the accumulated intoxication:
Drinking a lot of water is the first precaution to put into practice. Water favors the rehydration of the body and restores fluids lost due to alcohol. Drinking a lot of water is also an excellent remedy to encourage the elimination of alcohol: albeit in reduced quantities, a good hydration favors the elimination of small quantities of ethanol through sweat and urine that help the body to detoxify.
Engage in a light physical activity. Outdoor walks are especially recommended.
Contact your doctor when you are afraid of having developed an addiction to alcohol (or being at risk). Read the next passage in order to learn about the classical ways of tackling alcohol detoxication.
Traditional alcohol detoxification treatment. Alcohol poisoning treatment
The first step is generally detoxification, which involves an abrupt halt of the consumption of alcohol supported by drugs that allow the patient to tolerate the inevitable withdrawal symptoms. It may be necessary to lean on specific structures in the case of patients considered to be at risk of elevated symptoms.
Classical detoxification consists in gradual (from 3 to 14 days), cleansing the body from alcohol and products of their metabolism that are toxic, as well as stabilizing the activity of the body without substance addiction.
The following procedures are involved in traditional alcohol detox treatment:
- Restoration of electrolyte balance,
- Binding and elimination of toxins
- Desensitization of the body aimed at reducing the manifestations of acute abstinence
- Increasing the seizure threshold
- Early interruption of withdrawal syndrome
- Protection of the nervous system and the main target organs (liver and kidneys)
- Symptomatic therapy.
During such detoxification, the patient may feel a certain discomfort, since drugs are mainly not used. This discomfort does not constitute a threat to life and is positive in psychopathological terms: it leaves memories of the seriousness of the problems of use and the difficulties arising in this connection.
Forced detoxification is a fast cleansing of the body from toxic metabolic products of narcotic substances (including alcohol) and from the substances themselves - mainly in cases of overdose.
Despite the fact that this type of detoxification is popularized, it is worth paying attention to the fact that it should be carried out only in conditions of the intensive care unit. Such withdrawal of toxins by introduction into controlled anesthesia is carried out.
This procedure lasts from 6 hours to 2-3 days, which, in fact, is a type of anesthetic monitoring and is an extremely strong stress for the body. Forced detoxification is certainly an effective method, but it has its own rather limited indications and must be approached with taking into account all the positive and negative consequences.